October 17, 2008

Sleepwalking and My Mother Strikes Again


Tonight I had the honor of attending opening night of comic Mike Birbiglia's limited-engagement off-broadway show, Sleepwalk with Me. A longtime Birbigs fan, I was thrilled to actually be seeing him perform live for the first time. To be honest I can't even remember how I was introduced to his comedy, but his highly addictive brand of real-life storytelling humor had me ordering the CD "Two Drink Mike" from Comedy Central and burning down the battery of my ipod with it for weeks. Two years later, his material continues to evolve and is funnier than ever. But don't take my word for it, check out his reel here. The roughly 2-hour show takes you on a remarkably honest journey through Mike's life as he tells the true story of his history with a sleepwalking disorder, love, doctors, and divulging the personal details of his life against the advice of his Dad.

“This is a project that I’ve been working on secretly for 4 years and my dream was always that it would cross over into theater,” said Mike Birbiglia. “The fact that Seth Barrish is directing and these incredible producers believe in the show- it really feels like great timing in a way that I could never have imagined. Doing this show in NYC is a huge honor. It’s also very convenient - roughly about 30 blocks from my apartment.”


After the show, I stepped out onto Bleeker Steet and checked my cell to see that I had missed 2 calls from my mother (I firmly believe that Mike's bit reminding people to silence their phones was designed specifically for my mother, who I had told I would be in a show from 8 to 10 and not to call). In the midst of yet another argument in which she manages to make me feel about 2 inches tall and completely worthless, the theatre doors open and out steps Mike with none other than the remarkable Nathan Lane. Before my head could stop reeling from the argument long enough to walk up and say hello, they were off in a cab to what I later discovered was a post-show interview with XM Comedy. Perhaps next time Mike will have time to stick around and sign playbills and I will be smart enough to not answer my phone.

No comments: